01 May 2010

A Bit Off The Top

Our Gulf Coast Native Sheep finally got their first "hair" cut, and they're looking none the better for it. Their robust woolliness is gone, revealing tiny little bodies and (seemingly) great big heads. They're also a lot harder to catch with no fleece to grab onto. On the plus side, we were left with bags of lovely, multicolored wool, ready for carding and spinning. I did a bit of spinning and weaving many years ago in Vermont--think I'll order some nice carders and find someone else to spin it for me, though, as I'm not sure I'm up to the learning curve. I can imagine scarves and perhaps a sweater in the natural hues of the wool--off white, grey, black and even a bit of brown. The satisfaction of wearing a sweater that you knitted with wool from sheep that you raised must be incredible. I'll let you know if I make it!

2 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

How exciting! In case you can't find anyone to spin the yarn, I saw a spinning wheel at the used furniture store...

Camp Topisaw said...

Oh--which store? I want it!